Sunday, November 15, 2009

Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie

This is one of my family's favorite recipes from when I grew up - I loved it when my mom would make this! It has become a favorite in my household. It's fairly labor-intensive, so I would recommend doubling the recipe to have leftovers for later. It freezes really well!





Old-Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie
From: Southern Living (and adapted by my mom)
Yield: 6 servings
Prep: about 1 to 1 1/2 hours
Cool: about 1 hour combined

Poached Chicken
1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 lbs), quartered
4 cups chicken broth
2 medium-sized carrots, halved crosswise
2 medium-sized onions, peeled
1 bay leaf
6 oz. small fresh mushrooms, halved (2 cups)
2 medium-sized ribs celery, halved crosswise
Sauce
3 Tbsp. Butter or margarine
1/4 cup plus 2 tsp. All-purpose flour
1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
1 tsp. Poultry seasoning
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1 cup frozen peas
Pie Crust

1. To poach chicken, put chicken, broth, carrots, onions, and bay leaf in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When broth comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Continue to simmer 20 minutes. Skim off foam from top with slotted spoon. Add mushrooms and celery to pot. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender

2. Using a slotted spoon, lift vegetables to a cutting board. Cool slightly, then chop onion coarse. Slice carrots & celery.

3. Let chicken stand in broth until cool enough to handle. Remove skin; pull meat from bones in large pieces. (You should have about 3 cups.)

4. Strain broth; skim fat from top and reserve. (Reserve or freeze the rest to use another time)

5. To make filling, have a deep 1 1/2 quart casserole ready for crust-topped pie. Melt butter in same Dutch oven over low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Let mixtur bubble about 3 minutes, stirring often to prevent browning. Gradually stir in the 2 cups reserved chicken broth and the cream. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until simmering and thickened. Add seasoning, green peas, the vegetables and chicken; stir to mix. Pour into casserole.

6. Roll or pat dough 1 inch wider than top of casserole. Moisten rim of casserole with water. Place crust over filling; press against rim to seal. Gently press overhang against sides of casserole. The pot pie can be frozen at this point!

7. Thaw (if frozen). Heat oven to 450. Bake 16 to 18 minutes until crust is puffed and well browned. Enjoy!

Note about feeding a crowd: I ended up doubling the chicken (2 whole chickens from Bettie at Hickory Acres) and quadrupling most everything else except the onions which I only tripled because I got tired of peeling them! If you make the recipe as it is, it makes a pretty hearty meal for four people who want seconds. I'm slowly figuring out proportions for 10!

5 comments:

  1. Your house must have smelled SO good while this was cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ate this last night, but I didn't thaw it out ahead of time. Instead, I put it in the oven for a half hour at 300 degrees and then cranked it up to 425 degrees for 15 minutes. I can't wait to get home at lunch to keep enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh good...I'm glad to hear it works that way too! My mom said she'd done it that way, but I didn't have concrete directions to tell everyone. Did you cook it covered or uncovered?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We thawed it in the fridge and cookied it for about 18-20 minutes, let it cool then housed the whole thing in like 10 minutes... It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, this was delicious! I will be making this sometime soon:) As well as the Arroz con crema!

    ReplyDelete