What was supposed to be a delicious lasagna recipe of my mothers, really turned into a free for all when I started to dig through the fridge/freezer to see what I could use for this weeks contribution. I'd love to give you all some idea of the recipe, but to be honest I just have no idea what portions I ended up using. Here's my best guess:
- Two tupperware containers of Sara's homemade tomato sauce which I made fresh this summer and froze - thaw before using
- One additional jar of Newman's Own Organic Marinara Sauce - I found that I needed to increase the sauce after starting to layer the lasagna
- 1lb of Hickory Acres ground beef
- One tupperware container of frozen veggies left over from the farm share, including tomatoes, kale, zucchini, yellow squash, radish, onions,
- One small butternut squash
- 4 cloves of garlic & one small onion sauted with meat
- Approx 33 cooked lasagna noodles
- Two 15oz containers of low fat ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- Two eggs
- Oregano
- Two packages of frozen spinach - thawed
- One container of goat cheese
In some order do the following:
- Thaw and brown meat with onion and garlic then mixed with sauce
- Thaw veggies add to meat sauce of simmer
- Thaw the spinach and mix with ricotta cheese, parmesan, eggs and oregano
- Halve the spinach and cheese mix and add goat cheese to one half
- Cook noodles, sun under cold water and lay out on towels to cool and dry
- Add a 1/2 to one cup of sauce to the bottom of two 9x13 pans
- Begin to layer noodles, sauce mix, then dollops of cheese mix, sprinkle (or heap) shredded mozzarella between layers and repeat as necessary.
- I highly recommend using excessive mozz. cheese on the top layer before baking
I think that I ended up with 4 layers per pan.
Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered. I suggest using toothpicks to hold the foil up of the lasagna while the cheese melts. When cooked, set out to cool and place in fridge. If the lasagna has time to cool it's way easier to cut and the pieces stay together better. It's a great meal to make ahead of time and freeze!
We loved this dish!
ReplyDelete