Sunday, March 14, 2010

Baked Potato Soup w/ Homemade Bacon Bits



This was Alton Brown's recipe, to which I made some very minor amendments (increasing some quantities, adding some additional toppings, and adding the cubed potatoes...just so it looks more like potato soup!). I doubled these quantities to make enough for all of us. I was pleased with how this turned out, and I hope you all enjoy it this week!

4 tablespoons butter

2 cups chopped leeks
2 tablespoons minced garlic
6 cups chicken stock
3-4 redskin potatoes, skin on, cubed
4 large leftover baked potatoes, halved. pulp scooped out and put through a food mill
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons Sherry
Minced chives, bacon bits* and cheddar cheese for toppings



In a dutch oven, over medium heat melt the butter and add the leeks and garlic. Cook until they are translucent. Add the stock and whisk to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the riced potatoes, buttermilk, sour cream, and grated Parmesan. Add this mixture to the soup stirring constantly (I had to use the whisk again). Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and add the Sherry. Serve and top with chives, bacon bits and cheddar cheese.
*I made the bacon in the oven. Lay slices out on a broiler pan, set the oven to 400 degrees and bake for about a half hour, until crispy. When cool, break into small pieces and serve.

3 comments: