It is grey, rainy, and chilly outside - definitely a week to have something warm and comforting! After reading the blog Meal Planning Mommies, I was inspired to make Tortilla Soup. Although the recipe they had on their site looked good, I was looking for something a bit more complex so I googled and found this recipe on AllRecipes (great because I could scale the recipe for 12 - yes, I know there are only 10 of us).
Ingredients
1-1/2 onion, chopped
4-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1/2 tablespoon chipotle powder
1-1/2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
1-1/2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth
1-3/4 cups and 2 tablespoons water
1-1/2 cups whole corn kernels, cooked
1-1/2 cups white corn kernals (the original called for hominy)
1-1/2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chile peppers
1-1/2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
3 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
crushed tortilla chips
sliced avocado
shredded Monterey Jack cheese
chopped green onions
Directions
1 - In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
2 - Stir in corn, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3 - Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.
This was so tasty! Thank you for including a perfectly ripened avocado in this week's meal. Yum.
ReplyDelete