Monday, March 29, 2010

Indian Butter Chicken



Prep Time: 12 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients

6 pieces boneless skinless chicken, cut into bitesize pieces
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cardamom
2 limes, juiced
2 onions, sliced
1/2 cup butter
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 pint whipping cream
basmati rice

Preparation

Combine first 9 ingredients and marinate overnight.

Saute the onion in the butter until soft. Add marinated chicken and cook about 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Cook for 30 minutes over medium-low heat with the lid on. Add the whipping cream just before serving over Basmati rice.

Notes:
1. The onions, butter, and chicken looked (and tasted) really delicious on their own. You could leave out the tomato step if you wanted.
2. For a more Thai flavor, this would be good with coconut milk instead of whipping cream. You could also use half and half for a lighter fare.
3. I added some frozen stir-fry veggies in the last 10 minutes of simmering just to make this a more complete meal. The original recipe didn't call for them, and the picture was beautiful! I think I found this meal on foodgawker, and the recipe is from Tasty Kitchen.
4. You can serve with cilantro, which for the second time I've wanted to use it, was unavailable at the grocery store I was shopping at.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, we love Indian! If only I had a tandoori clay oven to bake up some Naan to soak up the liquid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this. Reminded me of a meal I used to get in Salzburg and I was happy the whole time I was eating. I'll definitely be attempting this recipe myself in the coming months... :)

    ReplyDelete