Psych! I know, there may be tears shed over the gametime substitution of butternut squash for pork stirfry, but there was a meat ordering error (umm, it wasn't delivered and I didn't follow up). But, what a treat this meal shall be! You should be able to taste a little bit of Oberlin goodness - the butternut squash is from the farm share (it stays good for 3+ months), the veggie broth in the sauce is made of farm share veggies, and the rice was cooked broth made from a H.A. chicken. The recipe is a modification of "Butternut Squash and Noodles w/ Coconut, Lime and Cilantro Sauce" from Bon Appetit, May 1998. Modifications include the use of Thai House Red Curry Sauce (couldn't find paste) and serving it over rice rather than with udon noodles. Recipe was doubled.
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 cups)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili
1 tablespoon minced garlic
.5 cup canned light unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
7 oz Thai red curry sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 cups)
1 cup vegetable broth
1 1/2 tablespoons minced seeded jalapeño chili
1 tablespoon minced garlic
.5 cup canned light unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
7 oz Thai red curry sauce
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add squash; sauté 4 minutes. Add broth, jalapeño and garlic; bring to boil. Cover; cook until squash is almost tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in coconut milk, lime juice and curry sauce. Simmer uncovered until squash is tender and liquid is slightly reduced, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Cook rice. according to package (I used brown basmati). Serve squash mixture over rice and top with cilantro.
* I think that this could also be good pureed as a thick soup.
I'm really glad I decided not to make Thai Chicken Curry this week. I've been craving coconut curry, so I'm excited to try this recipe!
ReplyDeleteThis was a great experiment, Christina! It was nice to have something so hearty and filling--and without meat! Delicious :)
ReplyDelete