Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Christmas Cookies

     My best friend used to make these cookies in high school. I am sure they are not all that rare because they are made with three perfect ingredients but I have yet to experience them outside of the hills of Happy Valley!

Ritz Christmas Cookies

--Ritz Crackers (I used reduced fat because obvi this is going to be a big difference in total calories consumed when you look at the other ingredients used.)
--Peanut Butter (if you use the organic runny kind be prepared to lick a lot of peanut butter off of your fingers once you are done making these cookies)
Bag of milk chocolate (preferably a good brand)

1. Spread peanut butter between two ritz crackers and make a sandwich. Repeat with about 2 sleeves of ritz crackers.
2. Prepare a few plates with waxed paper or parchment paper.
3. Melt chocolate in a double boiler (filled with boiling water).
4. Dip one end of the sandwich in the chocolate.
5. Place cookies on the parchment or waxed paper and cool in the refrigerator.

      This recipe was given to me by my mother who got the recipe from the mother-in-law of one of my other best friends from high school. These cookies are pretty simple and smell like Christmas in all its glory. Oh and if you are anemic (ahem, my pregnant friends... molasses has iron in it so gobble these up).. enjoy!


Nanny's Spice Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (I substitutes butter because I try to avoid using crisco unless I am making a decorative icing).
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg or 1/4 cup applesauce
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp ground ginger

1. Melt butter in microwave until soft.
2. Inlarge bowl combine butter and sugar. Add egg until blended. Add molasses and blend again.
3. In separate bowl, combine flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Stir into the sugar mixture until well blended.
4. At this point you can place the dough in the refrigerator and chill for at least an hour.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll cookies into balls and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes depending on whether you want them to be soft or crunchy.
PS. These cookies freeze well.

3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I was going to suggest we do a virtual cookie swap...I'll post some once I do some baking this weekend =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the egg listed for the spice cookies (and am admittedly out of eggs) so I used 1/4 homemade applesauce. Turned out scrumptiously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops! You were right Christina... there is one egg needed and I will amend the recipe in the posting but thanks for the applesauce suggestion!

    ReplyDelete