Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Baby It's Cold Outside - Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa

I was a bit in denial regarding our first big snow in Oberlin and decided to cook something nice and summery to see if Mother Nature might change her mind. No luck with the weather, but the meal and leftovers have been delightful. Also, this was WAY more fun to make with my newly sharpened knives. I am a chopping, dicing, slicing maniac. :)

Modified from - Weight Watchers Make it in Minutes
Makes 4 Servings

INGREDIENTS
1 mango, chopped (I used pre-cut store bought mango, way easier)
1 tomato, chopped
1 tomato, thinly sliced w/juicy seeds removed
1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
1 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 lb flank steak, cut into thin strips (I hate touching meat, so I bought pre-sliced fajita beef, again, way easier...)
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp canola oil
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tortilla
- the recipe also calls for a bell pepper (thinly sliced) and a jalapeno (seeded and thinly sliced) but I forgot to thaw some out so we went pepper-less.

INSTRUCTIONS
1 - Combine mango, chopped tomato, chopped onion, cilantro, 1/4 tsp salt, and lime juice in a non-reactive bowl. Ta-da - salsa is done. If you do this a little early that's okay, it will taste even better after sitting a bit.
2 - Combine steak, chili powder, coriander, and oregano in a bowl - coat the meat in the tasty spices.
3 - Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add the steak, sliced onion, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining salt (and peppers if you're using them). Cook, stirring occassionally, for about 6 minutes.
4 - Add sliced tomato and cook until steak is done, about one minute more.
5 - Assemble your tasty "take that winter" fajitas on the tortillas. We put the salsa directly on the meat but the recipe called for it on the side. We also had red beans and rice to make it a more substantial meal.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really delicious! Can you find mango in the winter time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have been wolfing down mango like it's going out of style (my favorite snack right now - great in the middle of the night), so yes, it is available. I am lazy and just buy it pre-cut in the produce section. That way I also know I am getting fully ripe mango.

    ReplyDelete