Oven Barbecued Brisket
5-6 lb brisket (first cut - has the fat cut off but you may need to trim it some more)
3 oz. liquid smoke
Celery salt
Onion salt
Garlic salt
Salt and pepper
Worchestershire sauce
6 oz. barbeque sauce
2 T. flour
1/2 c. water
1. Remove fat before cooking. (Bettie's brisket comes in 2 lb. and 4 lb. packages. The 4 pounder was really lean. I had to trim the 2 pounder for what seemed like forever and still couldn't get it all!)
2. Pour liquid smoke over brisket placed in baking dish. Sprinkle meat on both sides with celery salt, onion salt, and garlic salt to tenderize. Salt generously, but not too generously! Place in fridge overnight.
3. Next morning allow 5 hrs. for cooking, 1 hr. to bake with barbeque sauce, and a final cooling period of 1 hr. When ready to bake in a 275 degree oven, sprinkle both sides of meat with salt and pepper and a little Worchestershire. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
4. After 5 hrs. uncover the meat and pour on barbeque sauce. Continue baking 1 more hour.
5. Remove meat to a platter and let sauce cool. Remove fat. (Since I remove fat before cooking, I don't worry about fat in sauce.) Pour sauce into small pot, add the flour and water and cook til thickens a little. Add more barbeque sauce to taste. Serve sauce hot. Serves 10.
2. Pour liquid smoke over brisket placed in baking dish. Sprinkle meat on both sides with celery salt, onion salt, and garlic salt to tenderize. Salt generously, but not too generously! Place in fridge overnight.
3. Next morning allow 5 hrs. for cooking, 1 hr. to bake with barbeque sauce, and a final cooling period of 1 hr. When ready to bake in a 275 degree oven, sprinkle both sides of meat with salt and pepper and a little Worchestershire. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
4. After 5 hrs. uncover the meat and pour on barbeque sauce. Continue baking 1 more hour.
5. Remove meat to a platter and let sauce cool. Remove fat. (Since I remove fat before cooking, I don't worry about fat in sauce.) Pour sauce into small pot, add the flour and water and cook til thickens a little. Add more barbeque sauce to taste. Serve sauce hot. Serves 10.
Hash Brown Potato Casserole
2 lb. bag frozen has brown potatoes
Melt 1 stick butter or margarine in 9 X 13 dish and place potatoes over the butter. Mix and spread on top of potatoes:
2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
8 oz. carton sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 c. chopped onions
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
Melt 1/2 stick butter and mix with 2 c. crushed corn flakes. Spread over top and bake at 325 to 350 for 45 min. Remove from oven 15 min. before serving.
Marcus finished eating this and looked at me and said, "Um, we are definitely going to need this recipe." LOL Delicious!
ReplyDeleteI made this recipe in the crock put over the weekend. It came out really well, but here's what I would suggest: Def. let the brisket marinate over night (I did not). It cooked for about 8-9 hours one low and was tender and fully cooked in that time. I did not drain the liquid and and add flour at the end, but I wish I did. It was moist, but I missed the saucy-ness.
ReplyDelete