Monday, February 22, 2010

Asian-inspired Vermicelli


I got this recipe from my Godmother, who makes this dish often for her family. I had it the first time and fell in love with it. It's a nice meal because the turkey is lean and there are so many flavors in the sauce. This is the basic recipe (with my tweakings), but I've also made it and added in vegetables which is tasty too. Enjoy!

Ingredients
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 tsp ground ginger
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 c white wine
1/3 c Hoisin sauce
1/4 c soy sauce, reduced sodium if possible
1/2 c chicken broth
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c green onions, chopped
1 lb vermicelli, cooked and drained

Process
Medium hot pan (I used a dutch oven, but you could also use a wok or a large saute pan). Add olive oil, onions, garlic and ginger. Saute until translucent. Add meat and cook thoroughly. At this point I remove the excess grease and dispose of it. In a bowl, mix all liquid ingredients (not cornstarch) and add into pan/d.oven. Cover and let cook about 20 minutes. Uncover and remove some of the sauce to a small bowl and mix it with the cornstarch. Pour back into meat mixture and stir. When sauce has thickened to your liking, it is done. Add chopped green onions and vermicelli into mixture, stir until combined and serve.
This recipe serves between 2-4, depending on how hungry you are. ;-) Generally you'll have enough for 4 servings, and maybe even leftovers!

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I forget how tasty ground turkey can be - I'm always afraid to use it in recipes because Zach will call me out on it, but this slipped right by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, very tasty... we added a splash of asian hot sauce to the vermicelli... go grandma!

    ReplyDelete