Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Green Tomato Bread

Outside we are starting to get our first measurable snow of the year, so what better to do than bake something warm and tasty?  We planted our garden much too late so we had a preponderance of green tomatoes still on the vine.  My mom gave me the lead on making Green Tomato Bread and a bit of googling later I found a recipe that I thought would fit the bill.  Of course, I can't let well enough alone so I made a few modifications.  Below is the recipe as I baked it.

INGREDIENTS
3 c all purpose flour (I used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat)
1/4 c ground flax
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 c sugar (I was scant on this because that seems like a lot of sugar)
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
1 tsp vanilla
2 c finely shredded green tomatoes (about 2 medium - I used food processor; I also drained most of the liquid from the tomatoes)
1/2 c cranberries

DIRECTIONS

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
  2. Combine the first seven ingredients in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center of the mixture.
  3. Combine the eggs, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla in a small bowl; stir well.
  4. Add mixture from step 3 to the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened (it will be thick)
  5. Fold in the shredded tomatoes and cranberries.  
  6. Spoon the batter into two greased and floured bread pans.  
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
  8. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack.  
NOTE: The first time I made this I didn't drain the tomatoes and the batter was much too wet.  The bread did not rise much at all.  As I type this I am admiring two very full loaves (with drained tomatoes) in the oven.  I also made some mini muffins (bake for about 15 min) and regular muffins (bake for about 25 min).  

No comments:

Post a Comment