Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Baked Oatmeal

I know that oatmeal is a staple in many of the FF households, so hopefully this is a tasty addition to everyone's recipe box.  Addie is now eating more of the foods that we are but insisting to only eat them with her hands.  This is a bit of a dilemma when it comes to creamy oatmeal.  What is the solution?  Baked oatmeal, of course!  Brett and I can add a little milk to ours to make it creamier and Addie can eat it in little chunks.  

I found this recipe and have modified it slightly to reduce the sugar content (the first version was disgustingly sweet).  Additional modifications have made it dairy and soy free to accommodate Addie's food intolerances.  It is also a nice option for busy mornings because I can assemble and put it in the oven before I shower and by the time I am all ready for work it is ready to eat!

This makes enough for two or three mornings' breakfasts.  
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
2 c quick-cooking oats
1 c rolled oats
2 T brown sugar
2 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
3/4 t salt
1/4 t ground ginger
3 T flax meal (I ground up flax seeds in my blender - easy)
1/4 c warm water
1 c rice milk (vanilla or plain)
1 t vanilla
1/4 c maple syrup (I think I used a little less than this)
1/4 c melted margarine (we use Earth Balance soy-free)
3/4 c frozen blueberries
1 peeled, chopped apple


DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Lightly oil or grease an 8" square baking pan. 
  2. In a medium-large bowl, combine the quick-cooking oats, rolled oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ginger. Set aside. 
  3. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal with the warm water until the mixture is "goopy". Set aside. 
  4. In another small mixing bowl, whisk together the almond milk, vanilla, maple syrup and melted margarine. Add this to the dry ingredients, followed by the flax mixture. Stir until just combined. 
  5. Fold in the blueberries and apples until evenly distributed. 
  6. Spread the mixture in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. 
  7. Cut into 8 squares and serve warm with milk.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious! I will definitely try it! Thank goodness we are finally getting out of the finger foods-only phase...it was difficult coming up with foods Zoe could handle herself without our help. Regular oatmeal is a good one to try with a spoon when Addie is ready! It sticks to the spoon really well.

    ReplyDelete