Thursday, June 9, 2011

Miracle Meals

As we prepare for our move we are cleaning out the cupboards and I swear that each meal is a miracle after it comes together. Here are two meals I have made in the past week that at first seemed impossible and at the end were pretty tasty! Note that amounts are estimates and I have already packed my dry spices.

Spaghetti Sauce
2 280z cans of tomatoes (I had diced Italian and crushed)
1 small jar of capers (seriously, I had capers in my fridge?)
1/2 a small jar of sun dried tomatoes
1/2 small jar of minced garlic
1/2 small jar of roasted red peppers
1 tbsp olive oil (from my Mr. Mister because I am out of olive oil - I tell you, we are getting creative)
Squeeze basil
Squeeze parsley (these last two were a great way to save $$ on herbs - they were also both at least 1/2 full)

Combine in large saucepan because you have already packed the stock pots (really? what was I thinking?). Combine with Bettie's beef and serve over combination of random pasta left in the pantry.

Asian Slaw Salad
This is one of my favorite dishes but because of Addie's soy intolerance I haven't even ventured to make this... until today because it is hotter than hades and I am having my mommy vacation day. So, no soy sauce, no hoisin sauce, oh, and no rice wine vinegar because we ran out. I eyeballed the whole recipe, so just keep tasting it. :)

Broccoli slaw (okay, I bought this today but was going to use it as a garnish on a lettuce salad)
Apple cider vinegar
White wine vinegar
Sake (good stuff, too good to be cooking with, but hey, it's got to be used)
Fish sauce
Sesame oil
Brown sugar
Peanut butter
Tamarind sauce (bought to recreate our cooking class recipe - only did that once)
Toasted sesame seeds
Ramen noodles
Fresh grated ginger (so glad I keep this in the freezer!)

I am so excited to restock a new pantry in a few weeks!!!! Maybe this time I will be more conscientious of what I have already.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to try those squeeze herbs! I have a brown thumb and have managed to kill off the herbs I was growing (the basil is hanging on for dear life though). Also, for a second I thought that "Mr. Mister" was some sort of nickname for B, and I couldn't figure out why he had olive oil but you didn't. Hm. I'm with you now.

    ReplyDelete